Just today (September 15, 2017) Microsoft announced the first alpha version of SignalR for ASP.NET Core 2.0. Now these are great news! I immediately had to try this out with my favorite way of building web apps: The Aurelia framework. I can already say: It works like a charm. But let me start from the beginning.
TL;DR If you do not want to follow this tutorial and just want the code, go ahead, have a look at my Aurelia Playground over on GitHub!
Setting up a simple application
I used a skeleton I once created to have an easy starting point with Aurelia. Initially the skeleton was set up using the Aurelia template coming with the the ASP.NET Core SPA templates (
dotnet new aurelia). I upgraded Bootstrap to the shiny new version 4 but that’s basically all I changed. Feel free to use it as a starting point for your projects!
For this project I am going to use this template as a baseline. Go ahead and clone https://github.com/Spontifixus/aurelia-playground.git to get started and read on to build your first ASP.NET Core 2.0 SignalR application!